How does the Maya Cycle bicycle trailer differ from the BOB trailer?
This past March I had the privilege of attending and exhibiting the Maya Cycle bicycle bike trailer at 3 of the best consumer bicycle shows on the West Coast (not including Sea Otter in California): Vancouver, Canada; Seattle; and Portland. How was it? Nothing short of amazing!! But you can read more about the shows in my West Coast Bike Shows Adventure blog post.
The purpose of this blog is to answer the most commonly asked question I received at all three shows: “How does the Maya Cycle differ from the Bob?” and as I told those who asked, I will now tell you here:
Maya Cycle is similar and comparable to the Bob Yak bicycle trailer in that it:
- Attaches from both sides (left and right) of your bicycle’s rear wheel axle
- Has a single 16” wheel
- Its made out of steel
- Weighs about 13 lbs total weight
- Carries up to 70 lbs.
- Carries 3661 cubic inches of cargo (60 liter bag)
What differentiates the Maya Cycle bicycle trailer from the BOB bike trailer are the features the Maya Cycle has that BOB does not:
1. Maya Cycle has a kickstand that holds your bicycle upright for easy parking and loading
2. Maya Cycle releases at the pivot point
3. Maya Cycle converts into a fully functional wheelbarrow so you can push-cart your cargo to where you need it without tagging the bicycle along with you
4. Maya Cycle is compact, under one meter long behind the back of your bicycle wheel which makes for easier maneuverability and parking in urban environments
5. Maya Cycle is designed so the center of gravity sits lower than the pivot point of the bike trailer which allows for easier handling
6. Maya Cycle pivots into your turns “hammock-ing” behind you which substantially reduces drag and fishtailing effects and allows for sharp turns
7. Maya Cycle is a flatbed with a rectangular shape which allows for square shape items to be loaded into the trailer (i.e.: Cooler, 2-4 of your favorite beer)
Now if you ask me which one is better? I can’t answer that for you because I never had the privilege of cycling with a BOB bike trailer. But I can tell you one thing for sure; Maya Cycle definitely has the BOB trailer beat with its kick-stand and compact maneuverability.
BUT the best difference of all??? Maya Cycle ships for FREE at ONLY $249 and includes a FREE bag (plus $9 handling). The BOB trailer ranges between $320 – $360 from your local bicycle retailer.